After an hour or so of gameplay, I discovered that, for me, Morrowind has an automatic dissuader against long periods of gaming. Namely, nausea.
BUT FIRST I HAVE TO RANT ABOUT MY GRAPHICS CARD. Or the lack of one. (Also to show off all of the technobabble I learned in a few hours of forum surfing). So basically, I was going to try playing Skyrim. And the download itself was fine, two hours because there were so many seeders. But then I had to read and re-read the instructions several times before I actually got it working because apparently I didn't understand what the crack directory was and no one else seemed to be confused on that part. Eventually after much installing and re-installing I finally got to the menu on the lowest possible settings. And found out that they weren't low enough. Because I could see the subtitles and hear the guys talking but the graphics were such that it looked like they were driving the wagon through a tree because it was completely wonky and blurred. Then I found out that apparently Skyrim needs 500/400mb of dedicated memory and that anyone on those forums would probably laugh themselves sick if they knew that I tried to play it on a laptop with an integrated card with less than 100mb. Then I gave myself a headache trying to find out what dedicated memory actually was, and what was the difference between shared memory, and video cards, and integrated cards, and NVIDA and ATi and laptop specs - but I got the basic gist. You can't really increase your dedicated memory. (Yahoo Answers gave me a bunch of stuff about capitalism and BIOS but whatever) Also, jfc hats off to guys in IT.
So naturally not being able to play Skyrim I tried finding out how much dedicated memory Oblivion needed. I forgot the exactly number but it was in the ballpark of STILL TOO MUCH. So failing that, I tried Morrowind.
The install and everything went okay except when it couldn't find a file for the opening cinematic, but other than that I got up and was asked for my name normally. And haha when you talk to the NPC at the Hard to Spell Fantasy Starter Town 1 he's like "the guards were acting kind of weird when they brought you here". Ahahaha maybe it's because after the first guy asked for my name he had to wait like 20 minutes for me to translate things into Irish (a decently hard to spell fantasy language) and search up Irish historical heroes (who were not Lancer). In the end I came up with Sidhe, which is generic enough but at least wasn't Kyle or something. Putting the "Roleplay" in "Roleplaying Game". And I'm glad Sidhe is relatively gender neutral because I only found out at the character creation screen that I could actually change my gender.
Speaking of character creation screen I must have spent half my game time on it, looking back and forth between a walkthrough and the screen. Choosing my race took a bit, and then it was like jfc there's more? As a beginner I thought it safer to go with a warrior type so I went with a Nord combat type using a custom class based on Barbarian. And then I literally said out loud jesus fucking christ WHAT SIGN I WAS BORN UNDER? But after much tweaking and reading I managed to accidentally steal a candle and get out of the house.
And then that's when everything went downhill.
I'm so unused to playing first person perspective games that I literally got nauseous from playing it too long. Combined with the brownish graphics, the multiple NPCs that pretend like you're the one talking to them even though you're just standing still as they walk by, and the total lack of direction sense I have, I couldn't take it. Even my character felt kind of drunk since I took a sidequest to go to this lighthouse but instead too many turning stairs made me fall off the lighthouse instead. When it got dark and a thunderstorm started I was like 'yup, getting out of here now.'
But if not for the dizziness and lack of direction, Morrowind seems pretty promising. I love that you can go around breaking all of the rules, but the total free will scheme daunts a traditional RPGer like me a bit. That's why I kept wandering around, lost and dazed as I single mindedly asked: BUT WHERE ARE THE SPAWN??? The graphics are pretty terrible, even in comparison to some of the other games I used to run on this laptop. (And yes I did try games that were more graphic intensive than Maplestory tyvm). I had a hard time using my appearance because all of the faces were so ugly.
I'll try playing again, but if this first person thing gets to be too much, then I guess this whole style isn't really for me. I'll just go play LoL or something.
January 03, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
manga
(78)
anime
(64)
episodic rant
(40)
series review
(34)
mahou sensei negima
(12)
shipping
(12)
shounen
(12)
Naruto
(10)
games
(9)
movie
(9)
live action
(8)
star driver
(8)
Bleach
(7)
ending
(7)
haikyuu!!
(7)
one piece
(7)
detective conan
(6)
haruhi suzumiya
(6)
kpop
(6)
kuroshitsuji
(6)
shoujo
(6)
twgok
(6)
Durarara
(5)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
(5)
Liar Game
(5)
first impressions
(5)
fullmetal alchemist
(5)
light novel
(5)
07-Ghost
(4)
Fairy Tail
(4)
la corda d'oro
(4)
season two
(4)
shugo chara
(4)
sports
(4)
D.Grayman
(3)
OVA
(3)
angel beats
(3)
avatar
(3)
code geass
(3)
final fantasy
(3)
kuroko no basket
(3)
shota
(3)
tcg/ccg
(3)
uq holder
(3)
webtoon
(3)
Blade of the Immortal
(2)
CLAMP
(2)
Inuyasha
(2)
Kenichi
(2)
Kobato
(2)
Magi Labyrinth of Magic
(2)
Medaka Box
(2)
Munto
(2)
alice in the country of hearts
(2)
animation
(2)
awards
(2)
black butler
(2)
character rankings
(2)
eyeshield 21
(2)
harem
(2)
higashi no eden
(2)
hunter x hunter
(2)
immortal rain
(2)
korean
(2)
loli
(2)
mahou shojo
(2)
maria+holic
(2)
natsume yuujincho
(2)
otome youkai zakuro
(2)
samurai deeper kyo
(2)
series comparison
(2)
shinrei tantei yakumo
(2)
super junior
(2)
sword art online
(2)
tower of god
(2)
200 pounds beauty
(1)
2014
(1)
Code Breaker
(1)
Hana to Akuma
(1)
Harukanaru Toki no Naka de
(1)
IRIS
(1)
Kaitai Shinsho Zero
(1)
Kekkaishi
(1)
Kyou Koi wo Haijimemasu
(1)
Say I Love You
(1)
Shaman King
(1)
Tokyo Mew Mew
(1)
accel world
(1)
ah my goddess
(1)
anohana
(1)
bakemonogatari
(1)
bloody monday
(1)
boys love
(1)
brs
(1)
chrono crusade
(1)
comic book
(1)
cooking
(1)
disappearance of haruhi suzumiya
(1)
doctor who
(1)
doujinshi
(1)
fate/stay night
(1)
free!
(1)
gaiden
(1)
ghibli
(1)
glass mask
(1)
hatenkou yuugi
(1)
hellboy
(1)
k-on
(1)
kamisama hajimemashita
(1)
kanata kara
(1)
love live
(1)
magical girl lyrical nanoha
(1)
makoto shinkai
(1)
mamoru hosoda
(1)
mei-chan no shitsuji
(1)
one punch man
(1)
psycho pass
(1)
puella magi madoka magica
(1)
reverse harem
(1)
rpg
(1)
sailor moon
(1)
saint young men
(1)
saiunkoku monogatari
(1)
saki
(1)
series recommendation
(1)
sherlock holmes
(1)
shokugeki no soma
(1)
slam dunk
(1)
soul eater
(1)
spring 2015
(1)
story tropes
(1)
suikoden tierkreis
(1)
suisei no garugantia
(1)
tekken
(1)
the elder scrolls
(1)
toradora
(1)
until death do us part
(1)
vampire game
(1)
vampire juuji kai
(1)
visual novel
(1)
yozakura quartet
(1)
yugioh
(1)
zombie loan
(1)
Popular Posts
-
A conversation with a friend about sports animes: E: How's Kuroba? Me: I like it! I've read one arc of it only. Although I like th...
-
Recently I got sucked back into the world of mobile TCG games with Chain Chronicles. There was a period of a time for about a year when I wa...
-
Since I posted it, my posts 'gotta collect them all' about TCG/CCG games has been one of the most viewed. Basically my most popular ...
-
Spoilers, by the way. HOLY FUCKING SHIT ON A FUCK SANDWICH WHAT JUST HAPPENED I- WHAT FATE EVA NEGI? Also what are you wearing s...
-
Continuing on with the series of life-ruining highschoolers playing sports, here's part three. Two more to go! This one has one of my ...

0 comments:
Post a Comment