September 16, 2015

Thriller Bark Saga

Thriller Bark Arc (Ch 442 - 489)
Yo ho ho and a bottle of sake
Like Skypiea, this is another relatively contained saga composed of basically just one arc. And unfortunately, like Skypiea it's in between two sagas I like much better than it. This one has some foreshadowing to the next great and terrible arc, the Summit War Saga.

As for content, they recruit Brook in this one. I'm kind of neutral towards Brook, maybe because we haven't had much time to really get to know him. He wasn't exactly the focus of the arc and he doesn't seem to have outstanding characteristics, personality-wise or powers-wise. But his backstory is great. "He's a talking skeleton! He has an afro! And yohoho! And he's Laboon's nakama!" Laboon is so CUTE and Brook's flashback was so SAD. I just love how it just got more and more depressing as he died alone but then you cut to the present time and what a party he's playing for now! His uncomplicated recruitment was the highlight. Finally just 'hey be my nakama' and 'k.' And it's a nice 'book ends' type of feeling when, at the very end of the arc it's Brook who asks Luffy to join his crew and Luffy being the one who's like 'k'. 

Story-wise, the arc kind of dragged for me. At the start, we get to see their new ship which is hella amazing like I want a tour! And the Mini-Merry was such a cute touch. I don't like the cliche of having an undead/horror arc that's explained away by some Devil Fruit power, it just seems out of nowhere for the series. But I do like seeing everyone's various reactions to the whole zombie thing from Usopp's expected panic to Luffy's 'what is common sense can I eat it'. 

The solo fights are meh. Sanji's fight was literally like what the fuck Sanji I thought you were cooler than that. Honestly it's like he's the only one who's regressed in terms of character development. I think they try to make it up by that moment of self-sacrifice at the end but....ok damnit it does work. "I only made a fool of myself" "No...you also had the same resolution". (And I appreciate Robin and Brook both knowing) I like Nami's friendship with the 'bride' but she doesn't get a proper solo fight. Zoro's fights are usually all pretty cool, but nothing special to scream about. He's just always cool. On the other hand Usopp's solo fight was the prize match. "I'M ALWAYS NEGATIVE!" It's inspiring to see him embracing his faults and rather than letting his weaknesses defeat him, he uses his negativity and lies to win instead. 


Sure they have a lot cooler two page poses but why have those when you can have these dorks instead #SquadGoals
I like seeing some of the different team dynamics going on in this arc, like Robin and Franky or Brook and his future teammates. Also because I love this family, I adore the SBS answer where Oda gave the Strawhats roles as a literal family: Brook (Grandpa), Franky (Dad - Hoodlum), Robin (Mom), Zoro (Eldest Son), Sanji (Second Son - Delinquent), Nami (Eldest Daughter), Usopp (Third Son), Luffy (Fourth Son), and Chopper (Youngest Son). LIKE HOW CUTE??? HONESTLY HOW CUTE??? 

The last battle was TOO FUCKING LONG but it was also truly a team effort. 600 Million Beri Jackpot indeed. We finally get to see Robin and Franky, the newest family members, participate in fights. (The highlight of course: Robin "As a person, I'm embarassed.") Then you got the whole crew showing up to the fight like "If you've got Luffy's shadow, then you shouldn't be underestimating your own crew's strength!" Ah feel so proud of this team of OP badasses that Luffy randomly recruited. As for Luffy himself, well the nightmare version was meh. Oz was pretty hilarious, how Luffy's shounen protagonist-ism can't be contained by mere flesh. But god that last battle was just 'we won! - BUT WAIT - now we won - BUT WAIT- holy shit goddamnit stop STAY DEAD FUCK.

Of course, as we come to the end, we get to my favourite part. RORONOA FUCKING ZORO. Zoro was the real MVP of this arc. I may have mentioned, in the past, how much I absolutely fucking adore the captain & first mate dynamic between Zoro and Luffy. And good god this moment had it. The fact that he's someone with that much pride and ambition, but would give his life for - again I've said this before but it bears repeating - for some reckless idiot who half tricked him into becoming his crewmate. At the time he told Luffy if Luffy got in the way of his goal Zoro would cut him down and now, AND NOW he's willing to put aside his goal and his life for Luffy's dream. If that isn't a first mate I don't know what is. 
Same with Sanji, who said they were always prepared for this sacrifice. Let that sink in. The two big brothers that Luffy found, when they followed him they prepared for this eventuality with their lives. And telling Zoro he's letting his ambition go, when Sanji's giving up just as much. Think about that boy Luffy recruited, the one who grinned like a kid talking about his dreams. Fuck I love this monster trio SO MUCH. 

This arc had fights that dragged on forever, but at least thanks to that, we got a lot of cool one-liners. Well, think about it, every time they stand back up they have to have a cool line to go with it right? "If you want a nightmare then I'll show you a good one", or "If I can't protect my captain, then my ambition means nothing", or my personal favourite "I won't be crushed by anyone!! Because I'm made of rubber!" That last one seriously, because the entire premise of his power is so silly. Like who thinks of rubber, rather than a cooler power like ice or fire. But that quote just sums it up, because he makes such a typical shounen hero declaration like oh you can't defeat me. Then the villian does the typical oh you're so naive thinking I can't defeat you. But then Luffy's like no see you can't crush me because I'M LITERALLY FUCKING RUBBER. THAT'S THE ACTUAL CHARACTERISTIC OF RUBBER. Oh god I love this kid I'm crying.
But the one liner that really encompasses the spirit of the show is what Brook says at the end. Thriller Bark was a land of the 'undead' but with every single one of them wanting to 'live'. Brook, who suffered through death and loneliness, but still held on to that wish. Franky, who didn't think he could ever be allowed to live for himself. Robin, who would've forfeited her wish if it wasn't for their meeting. Chopper, who's purpose is treating life with respect. Nami, who wished to live freely. Sanji, who realized he could live chasing an impossible dream. Usopp, who wished to live bravely. Zoro, who found something important enough to live and die for. Luffy and the Strawhats do the same thing for everyone they meet; they inspire people to live. Rather than the destination, what's important is the journey: Live on! Let's meet! That's why Brook's quote is the best one for this arc: "I'm glad I'm alive!" 

  

0 comments:

Labels

manga (78) anime (64) episodic rant (40) series review (34) mahou sensei negima (12) shipping (12) shounen (12) Naruto (10) games (9) movie (9) live action (8) star driver (8) Bleach (7) ending (7) haikyuu!! (7) one piece (7) detective conan (6) haruhi suzumiya (6) kpop (6) kuroshitsuji (6) shoujo (6) twgok (6) Durarara (5) Katekyo Hitman Reborn (5) Liar Game (5) first impressions (5) fullmetal alchemist (5) light novel (5) 07-Ghost (4) Fairy Tail (4) la corda d'oro (4) season two (4) shugo chara (4) sports (4) D.Grayman (3) OVA (3) angel beats (3) avatar (3) code geass (3) final fantasy (3) kuroko no basket (3) shota (3) tcg/ccg (3) uq holder (3) webtoon (3) Blade of the Immortal (2) CLAMP (2) Inuyasha (2) Kenichi (2) Kobato (2) Magi Labyrinth of Magic (2) Medaka Box (2) Munto (2) alice in the country of hearts (2) animation (2) awards (2) black butler (2) character rankings (2) eyeshield 21 (2) harem (2) higashi no eden (2) hunter x hunter (2) immortal rain (2) korean (2) loli (2) mahou shojo (2) maria+holic (2) natsume yuujincho (2) otome youkai zakuro (2) samurai deeper kyo (2) series comparison (2) shinrei tantei yakumo (2) super junior (2) sword art online (2) tower of god (2) 200 pounds beauty (1) 2014 (1) Code Breaker (1) Hana to Akuma (1) Harukanaru Toki no Naka de (1) IRIS (1) Kaitai Shinsho Zero (1) Kekkaishi (1) Kyou Koi wo Haijimemasu (1) Say I Love You (1) Shaman King (1) Tokyo Mew Mew (1) accel world (1) ah my goddess (1) anohana (1) bakemonogatari (1) bloody monday (1) boys love (1) brs (1) chrono crusade (1) comic book (1) cooking (1) disappearance of haruhi suzumiya (1) doctor who (1) doujinshi (1) fate/stay night (1) free! (1) gaiden (1) ghibli (1) glass mask (1) hatenkou yuugi (1) hellboy (1) k-on (1) kamisama hajimemashita (1) kanata kara (1) love live (1) magical girl lyrical nanoha (1) makoto shinkai (1) mamoru hosoda (1) mei-chan no shitsuji (1) one punch man (1) psycho pass (1) puella magi madoka magica (1) reverse harem (1) rpg (1) sailor moon (1) saint young men (1) saiunkoku monogatari (1) saki (1) series recommendation (1) sherlock holmes (1) shokugeki no soma (1) slam dunk (1) soul eater (1) spring 2015 (1) story tropes (1) suikoden tierkreis (1) suisei no garugantia (1) tekken (1) the elder scrolls (1) toradora (1) until death do us part (1) vampire game (1) vampire juuji kai (1) visual novel (1) yozakura quartet (1) yugioh (1) zombie loan (1)

Popular Posts