September 03, 2015


Water 7 Saga
Long Ring Long Land Arc (Ch 303 - 321)
Enjoy it while you can
Oh boy oh boy after that last arc I am so pumped to be writing about one of my favourite Sagas so far: Water 7!! I think an arc is always better when it has a character to focus on, and in the spotlight this time is Robin. Now the first arc isn't a great start. The fight with the Foxy Pirates is pretty average. I think my favourite parts were Nami not falling for anything - "Excuse me miss, do you ever believe in what you see?" - and Chopper bursting into tears with Zoro having a big brother moment telling him to man up, and Nami's logical suggestion which gets shut down also because logically who would want that guy in their crew, and of course finally, Luffy's indomitable spirit and overwhelming friendship aura winning over everyone in the audience.
What the contest did help with is highlight the overall feeling of 'nakamas'. This arc also marks the first time we hear Robin calling her friends by their names, instead of nicknames like 'Ms.Navigator' or 'Mr.Cook'. This is all for the sake of fucking it all up by putting Aokiji into the mix. I don't mind him personally, and I do like that he kickstarts the drama of Robin's backstory. It's like oh you thought there would be more cute friendship things and smiles warmed by campfires?? SURPRISE BITCH. Plus its the first time they meet an enemy that's so out of their league for any of them and it serves as a chilling reminder (ba dum tss). Especially when Usopp feels it more than any of them and its a little bit foreboding foreshadowing for what's to come.

Water 7 Arc (Ch 322 - 374)
tl;dr
I fucking love this arc. First of all you get the adorable picture of Robin (the mom) walking around a new city with an excited Chopper (the youngest) then it's like SURPRISE BITCH bet you thought you saw the last of me. Instead, that's the last we'll see of light-heartedness for a while. So right away you get treated to the revelation that the Going Merry can't be fixed. Immediately after, their money is stolen and Usopp is beat up. But ok here's the important thing about that moment. Nami is the one who finds him and Usopp is absolutely crushed, but not physically. He's devastated that he lost the money to repair their beloved ship, that he's so much weaker than his teammates that he can't even protect this one thing and can't do anything right. And Nami says to him 'don't worry about the money'. And everyone else? Well, they FUCK. SHIT. UP. #getwreckt

We were all thinking it
After they casually destroy the Franky headquarters (like seriously holy shit) Luffy, oh my precious boy, decides to say goodbye to the Going Merry. It's like that time when he told Vivi off for being naive about nobody dying. These are the times when you're like wow...he's the captain. And you know it's truly serious then, that there won't be a shounen miracle where they solve everything. Because Luffy is someone who loves his friends more than anything, and Going Merry is no exception. So when he sincerely considers what has to be done and comes to the best decision he can make as a captain, I am so, so proud of him. When tempers get heated and Sanji has to kick him to get him to calm down, he immediately realizes and starts to apologize. That's what I love so much about Luffy, that he's this dumbass hot-blooded shounen hero who goes running into battles but when it comes down to it, he shows that he deserves to be captain.
And Usopp makes a fair point: "You goal is to become the Pirate King...but I don't necessarily want to go that far[...] The fate that brought us together is only so strong..." Not everyone has lofty ambitions and the determination of a shounen main character. But here's where he gets it wrong: the fate that brought about their meeting was only so strong, but the bond that was forged in the time between is stronger than steel. And honestly that's the reason why I absolutely fucking love their fight. The things they experiences together, the friendship that they bear each other, to see it falling apart is frankly amazing. The drama is incredible. Usopp giving the rookie monster a run for his money, and Luffy showing the strength that carried them here.
"...Heavy...!!" "That's what a captain is...!! Don't hesitate. If you can't be decisive, who can we believe in?!" I love everything about this. Luffy makes a firm decision to leave a friend behind in order to continue moving forward. It hurts like hell but he does it. And Zoro, his first mate, reminds him that they are still here. The strength that carried the Straw Hats here, that helped Luffy make that decision, is the strength they're still counting on to get them to the future.

"You wouldn't care if you had to resurrect the weapon and the world were to be destroyed?!"
"I don't care."
Then shit hits the fan, Iceberg straight up tells them it was Robin, Robin straight up tells them it was her but Luffy, like a captain, says "let's go" and his crew stands up to go. No hesitation. That's the strength that'll get them to the truth. You know what else will get them there? Friendship. I love the legend of the ship's fairy. It just seems so right in a series that's all about the nakama, that the ship literally gained a human form to help them. As for the potential new nakama in this arc, Franky's not my favourite? The flashback with Tom was okay but I mean I kind of like Iceberg better.
But Robin, now there's a girl I love. She only knew the Strawhats for a short time, she said that herself. But they have a first mate who risked his life for his captain like two days after he was recruited and a ship who developed a soul to carry them further. Friendship is literally magic in this series. "Of all things, she chose you 6...over the lives of all the people in the world" Fuck yes. "Everyone becomes weak when they're undecided...when they find out that they can save her, their strength will have no limit!!" Fuck YES.
I love this crew. I love Sanji pre-emptively getting on the train and pre-emptively kicking ass. I love Nami and Chopper who immediately run out like tsunamis who gives a fuck (the funniest is when Paulie thinks she's crying like haha no) I love Luffy and Zoro who broke a city apart because they can't be stopped here.

And if there's a tsunami in the way well THIS AIN'T YOUR LUCKY DAY POSEIDON
The Sea Train section of this arc is also really great. I love the three factions joining forces, headed by Zambai, Paulie and let's be real the real leader of all this, Luffy who gives a great shounen hero type speech to get the blood pumping. My highlight of this part is hands down the Gomu Gomu no 300 Pound Cannon. Like there's a giant ass tsunami coming towards them and these two dorks get in front of it and starts a casual conversation about skill names where Luffy arbitrarily changes the number and Zoro's like ok and then THEY FUCKING CUT THE SEA. Let's flashback a few arcs ago, where two giants cut open a path for them and told them to go straight ahead without looking back. Coming back to the present, they're the giants now and they're still taking that advice.
(Can't forget the other CMoA with this monster duo where they find a train car full of enemies and everyone on the Sea Train's like oh shit get ready for a fight and Luffy's like yo Zoro cut it and Zoro's like k and then HE FUCKING CUTS A TRAIN IN HALF [Sabin sheds a tear in the distance])
Sanji also gets a cool battle that makes me kind of wish knives weren't so sacred, or at least for some more food based enemies because damn he's cool with a pair. Plus an adorable exchange with his captain where Luffy tells him to start the ass kicking and when Zoro tries to be sensible Luffy's like yeah fucking right no one in my crew would, especially not you or Sanji.
And Sogeking lmao my favourite thing about his character is how he maintains that character while almost everyone immediately treats him normally as Usopp. "What the hell is he doing?" "Eh, don't hurt his feelings" LMAO.

 But what isn't a joke is what he says to Robin: "When it comes to pirates, you can't leave a crew without the captain's permission. So you should have faith in Luffy."

Enies Lobby Arc (Ch 375 - 430)
I WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY
Phew, after all that, they finally arrive at Enies Lobby. For me, the shounen battles are just a side-dish, so personally I liked Water 7 better and Enies Lobby's fights drags on a bit. The beginning rushes right into the action with Luffy and the rest of his crew behind him. Of course, the misunderstood damage report is the best part. Okay, the fight with the first CP9 guy where Luffy shows off Gear Second is pretty cool too. "I have nakama who're not strong...but I still want them to be with me!! So I have to be stronger than anyone else"

But undoubtedly, the climax of this arc, this saga is their confrontation with Robin on the roof. It has it all, the whole crew together and united with no hesitation, their enemies standing before them, and flashbacks of Robin's past when she lived with nothing but a dead giant's promise that she would have friends. She again tries the whole 'fuck off for your own sake' which Luffy replies by burning down the symbol of the world government at the front door of said government and basically saying 'look at that flag, it's gone, just like the fucks I gave'. After that, how could any one say no? And what follows is the most beautiful two pages of flashbacks and tears and a wish that sums up the series "Take me with you to the sea!!"
And this is truly the moment Franky is recruited. The original wish of his father figure and his brother figure was his wager and he decided to bet it on friendship and the Straw Hats. That's how you know he'll join, because he already chose them. "Despite knowing Enies Lobby's unrelenting myth...Despite knowing the remarkable power of the World Government!! The Straw Hats abandoned all of their common sense and marched ahead!! They won't hesitate to make the entire world their enemy just for one of their nakama!!"
I love the way Oda draws tears and laughter, two of the most expressive types of emotions. He draws them large and exaggerated. Deep bellied laughter has the characters' mouths open wide to convey that booming sound. Tears are all over the place, and snot is coming out their noses and their faces are all rumpled and it's messy and rough and incredibly heartfelt. And don't think supposedly 'cool' characters like Robin are immune because no one is immune to emotions. It makes the characters feel human and real and that much closer.

And what follows that great moment is a bunch of typical shounen match-ups thanks to a typical shounen set up of keys or whatever. Highlights were all that anticipation as to just what Gear Third is, Chopper doing his best to save his friends even if it means becoming what he hated being called the most, Sanji telling Usopp there's something he can do too, Zoro giving Paulie's notice of dismissal...wait almost all of that is non-battle stuff. Ok well Nami and Sanji showing off their new weapons were pretty cool. (#EndDesignatedGirlFights2k15)
And when Sogeking finally, finally gets his moment in the spotlight, it's glorious. And Sanji was like 'hella check out our sharpshooter!' like how cute seriously. And Franky and Robin gets to show off a little too, with Franky giving that speech up there and Robin no longer crying, no longer frustrated or scared. "I have nothing to fear...because I'm not alone anymore!!"

WELL I'M CRYING IN CASE ANYONE WANTED TO KNOW
Then I don't really care for Luffy and Lucci's fight which gets longer and longer but what I do care immensely for is their final nakama's turn in the spotlight. Last but not least: the Going Merry! Truly a team effort to save Robin. A final fight with its beloved crew before it finally comes to the end of its journey. You really realize the size of a caravel when it's up against the Marine's huge warships. But it carried them to victory, time and time again. And just like its crew, even though it's small, it can take on the world.
The send-off was a great and emotional affair, with flashbacks for extra tears and the ship showing everyone the truth behind a legend by saying goodbye personally. Really a fitting nakama of the Straw Hats.

Post-Enies Lobby Arc (Ch 431 - 441)
Yeah! Adventure! Nakama! Definitely not crushing reminders that they're still weak! Of course not the terrible realization that their newfound powers aren't good enough to protect everything!
Yes I heard that the Nile is a lovely place to sail at why do you ask
I absolutely completely adore falling action type chapters. When after an intense climax we get a little moment to breathe and appreciate what I'm really here for: nakamas. Everything about this arc is super cute (except for fucking Blackbeard fuck that guy).
Robin and Aokiji...ok kind of weird to call him cute, but I like him. And of course Shanks is awesome in all his appearances, but his meeting with Whitebeard is sadder in retrospect because he asks him to stop Ace. Ace and Shanks like ok they're only related through Luffy but it's enough to make Ace find him to thank him and it's enough for Shanks to treat him like family as well. Ace is SO GREAT and I love his powers and him being such a great big brother to Luffy and like fuck Blackbeard god fuck you. You ruined a perfectly good ending to an arc with death and apprehension and terrible foreshadowing like what the fuck ughhhh ok focus on the cute so that at least my post can end in cuteness and not that dick move.

Luffy and his grandfather are super cute. The reunion with Coby and that other guy is suuuper cute. I love that Coby and what's his face levelled up but damn son you ain't got shit on those two. We're talking the captain and first mate of this monster party I mean, they just finished declaring war on the world government. And everyone is super cute, Zoro's like you're still a crybaby, and Luffy's like yo I'm VIP you gotta be minimum Admiral to touch this.
And daammmn are they VIP, I love the new bounties and I love their reactions and I love this crew. Robin 'recruiting' Franky is incredible like Robin please. And the new ship is hella amazing and super cute. And yoo I love Zoro, I'm so glad Luffy has him to keep him in line. Being a captain and being in his crew isn't such a lighthearted thing. He's like I know this guy's a dumbass but I, and all of you, would put our lives on the line for him; so I'm only looking for people who'll do the same. And the thing I love is that Zoro was literally the first one to do that, because he was there at the very beginning; literally the first mate. He makes sense and it's so great that Usopp does admit he was stubborn and ask for forgiveness which makes it an excellent lesson.

 I love how at the end of this intense arc 400 something chapters from where they started, we get to go back a little to the beginning, with Shanks and Coby and um that guy and just everyone they've met. There's the rivals who'll be coming after them, some with determination and others with a friendly smile. There's people who'll be waiting to see where they go. There's families bound by love who's watching them go and keeping a home for them to return to one day. There's old friends who've fought with them and are still giving their support. There's a new nakama who's gonna take them higher than ever, leaving everyone else in awe. And one thing's for sure, no matter who they've met and who they'll meet, they'll never forget the Straw Hat Pirates.

0 comments:

Labels

manga (78) anime (64) episodic rant (40) series review (34) mahou sensei negima (12) shipping (12) shounen (12) Naruto (10) games (9) movie (9) live action (8) star driver (8) Bleach (7) ending (7) haikyuu!! (7) one piece (7) detective conan (6) haruhi suzumiya (6) kpop (6) kuroshitsuji (6) shoujo (6) twgok (6) Durarara (5) Katekyo Hitman Reborn (5) Liar Game (5) first impressions (5) fullmetal alchemist (5) light novel (5) 07-Ghost (4) Fairy Tail (4) la corda d'oro (4) season two (4) shugo chara (4) sports (4) D.Grayman (3) OVA (3) angel beats (3) avatar (3) code geass (3) final fantasy (3) kuroko no basket (3) shota (3) tcg/ccg (3) uq holder (3) webtoon (3) Blade of the Immortal (2) CLAMP (2) Inuyasha (2) Kenichi (2) Kobato (2) Magi Labyrinth of Magic (2) Medaka Box (2) Munto (2) alice in the country of hearts (2) animation (2) awards (2) black butler (2) character rankings (2) eyeshield 21 (2) harem (2) higashi no eden (2) hunter x hunter (2) immortal rain (2) korean (2) loli (2) mahou shojo (2) maria+holic (2) natsume yuujincho (2) otome youkai zakuro (2) samurai deeper kyo (2) series comparison (2) shinrei tantei yakumo (2) super junior (2) sword art online (2) tower of god (2) 200 pounds beauty (1) 2014 (1) Code Breaker (1) Hana to Akuma (1) Harukanaru Toki no Naka de (1) IRIS (1) Kaitai Shinsho Zero (1) Kekkaishi (1) Kyou Koi wo Haijimemasu (1) Say I Love You (1) Shaman King (1) Tokyo Mew Mew (1) accel world (1) ah my goddess (1) anohana (1) bakemonogatari (1) bloody monday (1) boys love (1) brs (1) chrono crusade (1) comic book (1) cooking (1) disappearance of haruhi suzumiya (1) doctor who (1) doujinshi (1) fate/stay night (1) free! (1) gaiden (1) ghibli (1) glass mask (1) hatenkou yuugi (1) hellboy (1) k-on (1) kamisama hajimemashita (1) kanata kara (1) love live (1) magical girl lyrical nanoha (1) makoto shinkai (1) mamoru hosoda (1) mei-chan no shitsuji (1) one punch man (1) psycho pass (1) puella magi madoka magica (1) reverse harem (1) rpg (1) sailor moon (1) saint young men (1) saiunkoku monogatari (1) saki (1) series recommendation (1) sherlock holmes (1) shokugeki no soma (1) slam dunk (1) soul eater (1) spring 2015 (1) story tropes (1) suikoden tierkreis (1) suisei no garugantia (1) tekken (1) the elder scrolls (1) toradora (1) until death do us part (1) vampire game (1) vampire juuji kai (1) visual novel (1) yozakura quartet (1) yugioh (1) zombie loan (1)

Popular Posts