Conventional TV wisdom has it that girls will watch shows about boys, but boys won't watch shows about girls. During test screenings though, boys said they didn't care that Korra was a girl. They just said she was awesome.
Compared to Korra Aang suddnely sounds like the most wise and patient of men. Omg we were just going to hear about Zuko's mom and then its like SCREW YOU KID. And I love how the previous series drew influences from the more monarchy era of Asia but this place is totally the roaring twenties. I love it. And how things have changed, the way things are done, even Korra's introduction as the new Avatar. It's almost reflective of the real life. I mean, the original series only started back in 2005. That's 7 years ago! With how fast the world's progressing these days, the change that the four nations have seen in 70 years doesn't seem that far fetched. AND LOL TENZIN'S SUCH A SWEETIE!
Also please don't tell me that Mako and Asami are the new Zuko and Mai to Bolin and Korra i.e the Katara and Aang. You know some people say that Korra is a lot darker than the original series. Maybe its because the writers realized that the original series attracted a lot more fans not of the 8-11 age range than expected. You have to admit though, Amon makes some good points. It wasn't like Ozai where he was just a plain supervillian with HAHA IM GOING TO BE RULER OF THE NEW WORLD OPRESSION AND DOOM. People can understand his reasons for doing it, and like the fire nation in the TLA there's always going to be bullies using bending. Even if you argue that he's using his energybending power to oppress as well, how else is he supposed to go about it? So it makes it really interesting to see how they'll resolve this. I mean, its no longer about just killing one meglomanic anymore. Amon has tons of supporters who agree with him.
Asami...smooooth. And Mako is kind of like Zuko how he can be pretty cool but also pretty silly. Like when he was getting nervous at Asami it was all like Mako your Bolin is showing. Ugh that Tarrlok is such a bitch. There's a textbook creep if I ever saw one. And its really interesting to see the difference in generations, how the Avatar never had to do press conferences or anything. (Though granted, Aang was pretty good at public speaking sometimes -Great Divide anyone?) But Korra, a hotheaded 17 year old raised in the south pole for her whole life, is suddenly shoved in this game of politics and public images. Meanwhile Tarrlok that bitch knows how to play the game and keeps manipulating it. The Avatar is less of that messiah character that Aang was in his day. And even Amon knows whats up, how he refused to take away her bending in episode 4. Oh Bolin you sweetie. You're just a nice guy aren't you, a cutie just like Pabu.
Episode 5 summary: The noise that came out of my mouth was not human. For a shipper like me this episode practically had me foaming at the mouth. WE COULD'VE HAD IT ALLL BOLIN IN THE DEEEEEEEP. Oh is this the PG way of getting smashed out of depression? Eating bowls of noodles? Or is this the asian version of bowls of ice cream and gilmore girls. "Girls." "Seriously." KORRA YOU'RE THE BEST! They arent just bending the elements, they're BENDING MY MIND. LOL. Trust me Lin, I can't believe Aang reincarnated into her either. But I can definitely believe you're Toph's daughter. (SHE EVEN USES TOPH'S SEEING POWER! Oh toph your boodline just continues to be awesome doesnt it) Holy shit this guys this is a fucking terrorist attack. Forget about getting
Remember what I said last time about the running gag thing? CABBAGES. REALLY? But I don't think cabbage man could've done it. He's not that type of cabbage seller. But I wonder why Korra can't just energybend it back. I bet her personality's too strong for amon anyways, its supposed to be so that your own soul doesn't get corrupted. Strange how it's been so many episodes and Korra hasnt even gone into avatar state yet. I don't trust that sato guy. Cabbage dude is totally innocent. What I love about this show is even if its supposedly just a kids cartoon its not completely predictable. Who knows who's allied with who, when even the main villain is a well-intentioned extremist. (See immediately after we find out the source was a setup. This is all very gambit-y, and I'm loving it) But one thing that I did count on? Asami being awesome. Saw that coming a mile away. I like her better than Mai. Still sometimes the non-benders kick more ass than the avatar. Oh gosh just when I thought Asian influences, culture and times was good enough, they bring in steampunk.
Hey I thought times had changed, this is the worse government system since -since- okay since Ozai. So I guess its kind of an improvement. Still, its pretty bad because it consists of Tarrlok and three other people, then Voice of Reason ie Tenzin. I'm going to really enjoy watching Tarrlok get what's coming to him. (REMEMBER WHEN. Stupid redeeming flashbacks I don't care if he was adorable and cute and he sacrificed himself to kill the brother he couldn't attack years ago HE WAS STILL A DOUCHE). Seriously. I'm just blown away by how they're representing the problem. There amon sure, but the real problem is guys like Tarrlok, he's the reason why there are equalist. The problem is those bullies with power. And while all Aang had to do was bend some elements and be done with it, but Korra's just one girl, even if she is the Avatar. What can she do to resolve the issue of not Amon and his revolution, but the corrupted government system and the very cause of the Equalist revolution. This is pretty deep writing, just like how I was impressed by TLA's portrayl of war.
Flashback episode yessssssssss. Oh I feel like a parent who's watched their children grow through TLA. They're all grown up now...but never ceasing to be awesome! Toph's still the QUEEN (of nicknames) and Sokka's still the organizer (and boomerang guy). What I really want to know is Toph's parents' reactions to her post war. I mean "my daughter is blind and tiny and fragile and helpless"? Bitch please she's an Earthbender master, teacher to the Avatar and helped him and his friends defeat Ozai and end the 100 year war during which she single handedly became the first person to invent Metalbending. AVATAR AANG! *wipes tear away* He's so awesome. And don't underestimate the new avatar either. AND MAKORRA. Man this episode is awesomesauce.
so far the only complaint I have is that apparently the two seasons together are only supposed to be 26 episodes. Usually I'm all for british brevity but really WHY WOULD YOU DO THATT. And they're focusing so much on the romantic subplot too. There's a lot of arguing about Mako's character too, and it's kind of weird how both Korra and Asami fell for him pretty much on the assumption that he's kind of cool looking at the beginning. You really don't need so much focus on the triangle and whatever to make hardcore shippers as TLA taught. And speaking of the triangle whatever happened to Bolin? His feelings for Korra kind of disappeared right after 05.
OMG ALSKDFJASLKDFJASAS I thought Ep 9 gave me all the feels seeing Aang and Toph and Sokka being grownup BAMFs but EPISODE 10. EPISODE 10. HERE MY FEELS JUST TAKE THEM. I HATE YOU OKAY. EVERYONE. JUST EVERYONE. Asami kicking nonbending ass. Tenzin being a master airbender. His children, Aang's legacy, carrying on the airbending art. AND LIN BEIFONG. LIN FUCKING BEIFONG ACCEPT NO SUBSITUTES. Fended an attack by Equalists. Took down an airship JUST LIKE HER ESTEEMED MOTHER. THEN refuses to trade Korra's location for her bending. All the awards Lin, just take them. And the stinger, IROH. TALKING IN ZUKO'S VOICE LAKSDJFASLKDFJALSKDFJALKSDFJASLKFASDF DIES. I can't. I just can't. (AND EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE FIRE NATION ATTACKED) And I'm hoping for the theory that Bumi married Honora and they had a son named Iroh was true. Also that Irosami will be canon. And another theory, that taking away someone's bending is actually an illusion. But my favorite theory is Amon's identity. He's got to be Madara Uchiha. And Sosuke Aizen. Their lovechild.
Omg I was like Mako no stop what are you doing. Thank god Korra has some sense. I'm really starting to like Bolin better, and that's saying something. (Didn't he already do a whole praise session of Korra?) holycrap war world 2 hello. COMMANDER BUMI WHAT. Does that mean he didn't marry Honora? THE F-. Ohmygod Amon waterbender bloodbender and Tarrlok as this cute sad little kid what. POLAR BEAR DOG -BETTER THAN METALBENDING. And Tenzin what. FUCK YEAH. And that is what came out of my mouth at eleventy billion decibels when Korra kicked ass. Fuck you Mako, that's what you get for not even properly clearing things up with Asami, and not going out with Korra when she liked you. I mean yeah sure he's just a confused 18 year old but he's also kind of a douchey 18 year old. AANG was the high pitched squealing that was accompanied by tears oh god the tears. Crying even when the other Avatars showed up because Aang who once sought guidance from them is now one of them and it's just SO MUCH FEELS OMGKASDJFLAKDSJF;LADS. FEELS FEELS FEELS. AVATAR!KORRA IS SO EPIC LIKE LAKSDJFLAKSDJFLASDKJFALSDJFAL;SDF. And even Tarrlok and Amon WHAT. Oh gosh just everyone. I feel kind of cheated that they had such a quick fix in the end for her bending though. I was hoping maybe she'd spend another season getting it back or something. And suddenly Makorra. I'm slightly upset that the thing with Bolin just totally got pushed to the side after like two episodes, and that Mako didn't even properly talk with Asami. UGH BUT AVATAR KORRA. So awesome. And it was super cute how she leapt at Mako and he spun her around laksdfjalsdkjfa. And Lin Beifong my HERO.
I wonder what they are going to do for the second season though, since in TLA the Fire Nation hadn't been completely defeated. Whatever they're going to do it's probably going to have a lot of badasses, CMoAs, and bending. FEELBENDING.
0 comments:
Post a Comment