![]() |
Well then, let's dive right in!
Episode I
The first episode definitely shows promise. You have a interesting set up and interesting characters. And the cutest OTP ever kthx. But it's funny how spoiler alert Haruhi wants to go out with aliens and esper and time travelers and despite eventually meeting all of those she ends up with the ultimate everyday John Smith type Kyon. It's outrageously cute though, and I love the simple boy meets girl set up. I love how Haruhi slowly starts talking to Kyon, and that scene when she pulls him in the middle of class and Kyon is playing the ultimate straight man to her antics is just so adorable to watch. And you can tell there's a bigger story behind it when Mikuru is aducted and she seems to change her mind even after being molested by Haruhi when she sees Nagato. Still, moeeeeeeee. Queen of moe. Where they even lampshade it! A mascot character! Kyoto Ani and the original light club -SOS Brigade. Moe moe kyun.
Episode II
The beginning was just like what? This is extortion and blackmail. And Kyon hangs a lampshade perfectly from the getgo "is this supposed to be a comedy?" Ahh Mikuru is so moe. When she turns to Kyon after the whole blackmail ordeal and says you're here too you get an urge to scream moeeeee. Tearful big eyes? Check. An attitude that makes you want to protect her? Check. Cute and squishy? Check. Clumsy and soft spoken? Check. Meido costume and/or animal ears? Check. A classic costume rape? Check and check. If anyone asks for 'moe' give them Mikuru, or another KyoAni star, Mio. And the cliffhanger at the end...THE PLOT THICKENS.
Episode III
There's some pretty nice animation direction in this. I really liked each scene when the various SOS characters revealed themselves to Kyon. The grammatically correct english when Yuki was delivering that lovely spiel of technobabble and the scenery when Mikuru was overlapping her explanation of time and relative dimensions. (in space?) And I like that they emphasize Kyon's status as an ordinary human. He's completely ordinary. He's interested in girls, not like some of those asexual/chaste male leads. He's so ordinary, but somehow all these strange events are gathering around him, and Haruhi. THE PLOT THICKENS.
Episode IV
This was a wicked episode! I loved the action between Nagato and Ryoko. And as for Asakura, anyone sporting such a stepford smiler class representative cover has to be actually knife wielding yandere yes? And its funny seeing Haruhi acting all sort of jealous while an actual harem developed around Kyon. I mean, moments after calling Nagato cuter without glasses he says Mikuru has a smile that you can't help but fall in love with. But even with those two around, I'd have to agree with Asakura when I say that it would be interesting to see Haruhi's reaction to him dying or maybe even vice versa. (Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya yesplease?) Also interesting is Kyon's total straight man act style narration as he's being attacked by a data alien from outer space. 'You sure are popular Haruhi!" THE PLOT THICKENS.
Episode V
Talk about the plot thickening! Knife weilding data aliens, busty time travelling future selves, giant fighting dimensional espers? And listening to Haruhi tell her backstory was quite interesting too because we see from her perspective that she was an ordinary girl with family and friends who enjoyed her life but had that one little difference in perspective. I mean to think that we're really one dot in the universe isn't really unique, but we usually don't comprehend scale so easily and we just go along with the flow of everyday life. But to Haruhi that everyday life when put into scale makes her insignificant, and in a hatred of that insignifance and normalcy she became God. Or something? THE PLOT THICKENS.
Episode VI
WHAT'S WITH THIS LAST EPISODE TYPE EPISODE. Oh gosh I shed actual tears over this alskdfjasldkfjasdf/. OHMYGOD WAS I WATCHING THE EPISODES ALL WRONG. WHAT I AKSDJFASLKDFJASLDFKJAS;DLFASJFDAFFF I CANT WHAT.
So apparently, the episodes I to IV weren't really the episodes 1 to 6 or at least not how I understood it or something? And apparently I sort of watched the ending but not really?
But this was a seriously nice episode. In fact it may be my favorite episode. Like how Haruhi is so cute when she's jealous, and Kyon is so cute figuring out what she means to him. 'Haruhi is Haruhi, well I shouldn't avoid the question by using a tautology like that" and when he wakes up 'Feud would have a field day with this'. I can't be the only one who watched this episode with Kiss the Girl playing in the back of my head.
Oh but Koizumi saying goodbye, and Mikuru saying sorry, and Nagato saying another visit to the library and Kyon resolving it all by going I GET TURNED ON BY PONYTAILS. Beautiful. And next day when she comes to school "It looks good on you." Lovely.
This is the tone of Haruhi. The world is ending, stuff is happening, Haruhi is right in the middle of it along with her SOS Brigade members and Kyon, dragged into all this supernatural stuff is just confused as heck so he solves in the most extraordinarily ordinary way. "That ponytail you wore on the first day was so good it was almost criminal" Tsuntsun.
Episode The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
After episode VI I almost wanted to stop because it was incredibly lovely for a 6 episode mini series type thing but there's really 8 more episodes so.
"But oh was it brief" Oh gosh this one was full of lulz. The fate of the world rests on the outcome of this baseball game! How could you not love a ridiculous premise like that? And Kyon shame on you for being unwilling to just kiss her and get out of this world. Although Haruhi debating whether to put Mikuru in a ponytail was cute too. Sad because they don't get together I mean really. And Mikuru is looking more to be the actual endgame than anything really. When you're afraid to get together with another girl because the world might end if you do. I don't think a machete wielding yandere could've done better.
Episode Mysterious Sign
I liked the so called companion centric episode. We saw Kyon reassembling the SOS dan members, and Koizumi showing off some of his fighting skills, and Nagato messing with data, and Mikuru being moe as always. The end take on the day's events was of course do androids dream of electric sheep. I mean, do data life forms feel loneliness. But I like that now everyone knows everyone else is totally weird, and they can go off on their own adventures once in a while too.
Episode Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
Because what's a japanese anime show without a beach episode? And there you have it doing summer beach stuff like a test of courage in the woods, setting off fireworks and of course swimsuits. But in the words of Kyon: IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE A COMEDY?! Because if we assume everything happens according to Haruhi's will.........it's not funny to wish for the death of your friend's relative no matter how distant it is! And there's stuff like that woman ripping pieces of paper into the ocean, or why Haruhi suddenly stopped before going into the room. THE PLOT THICKENS. (It's been a while~ I guess the first 6 episodes, or the adapation of the first novel, was so good because the plot kept on thickening ;D)
Episode Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
Talk about a distant relative. How Koizumi immediately starts dissecting the scene. Is it just me? This isn't Detective Conan! HAHA I WAS LIKE WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN when Kyon was all like maybe I should silence you to Koizumi. Oh ROFL. I enjoyed the moment when he had some of his own technobabble to get Nagato to open the door, and also seriously contemplating Haruhi's reaction to Kyon being seriously injured after their fall from the cliff. I liked that Haruhi tried to protect them, and Kyon's faith in Haruhi that she wouldn't really wish for a murder. "From the beginning" Smoooth. But what happened to the woman ripping the paper and stuff?! Welp. Also, and this really shouldn't be so amusing but I totally caught that moment when they were in the hallway and Haruhi's right leg turned into her left leg XD
Episode Mikuru Asahina's Adventure
WHAT THE ACTUAL. That was...what. Mikuru is certainly full of hopes and dreams. AND THE CAT STARTED TALKING.
Episode Live Alive
So this is the famous God Knows concert episode. I think it deserves its fame. The songs are pretty good, and my OTP is being cute. Haruhi was surprisingly cute and sweet in this one. And so was Kyon, like when he decided to take a walk during lunch. 'Don't read too much into it'. Oh for the love of Haruhi just kiss and go out with each other already.
Episode The Day of Sagittarius
I liked this episode! Nagato was super badass in this one, and 'permission'? was kind of cute. Not to mention that awesome music montage of destruction (Tchaikovsky’s 4th symphony) and win at the end.
Episode Someday in the Rain
So like walking together in the rain is cute and all but thank god this wasn't the last broadcasted episode because I would feel so cheated of an ending. Seriously this thing had like 10 minutes of Nagato flipping pages and it's just like what did you guys run out of budget for this? But I suppose it was a ending-type epilogue thing. Kyon's being dragged around by Haruhi, dragging along her SOS Brigade members, she's tsundere and adorable and Kyon can't help but be dere right back at her. You can almost hear the voiceover..."and so my time with Haruhi Suzumiya and the SOS Brigade continues on"
Well about Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I enjoyed Kyon's straight man narration all the way through, which made me laugh more than a couple of times. I liked the story set up and plot. I liked God Knows. I liked Kyon's interactions with the various SOS Brigade members. But if I had to say something about this series, it would be to watch the first 6 episodes. That is, episodes I to VI, not the actual broadcasted 6 episodes.
But I can see how this series might be so popular. It's fresh and original, especially when you consider its original airdate in 2006. Haruhi is new and bold and oh so tsundere. Kyon is the best deadpan snarker I've met for a while, his quick voice of reason responses rival Chisame's. He's the everyday man in a club full of gods, time travelers, espers and aliens. But unlike such harem leads like Negi, he's got a flirting thing going on with Mikuru, and Nagato seems as attached as a humanoid interface can be, and well I don't really need to elaborate on Koizumi do I? Koizumi is such a Stepford smiler that I actually look forward to whenever he loses his composure. He's got this mysterious slightly gay air that makes me like him as a bishounen but suspicious of him at the same time. And I think that's a good thing for this mysterious smiling transfer student esper. Mikuru has a bit too much moe for me to handle, but I enjoy seeing the much more confident Future!Mikuru. Makes me wonder how many years had to pass for that to happen. But still, and this might be shallow, but I don't like how she's constantly tearful and needs protection by Kyon. It's like Itsuki later suggests to Kyon in the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya, that she's just acting like that to gain a hold of him because she knows what he means to Haruhi. Who knows? Maybe I'm just mad at her for getting in the way of my OTP desho desho. I love Yuki Nagato and all her data badassery and technobabble, not to mention the relationship she has with Kyon especially in Day of Sagittarius when he realizes the subtle changes in her mood and gives her permission. It's times like that and in Endless Eight later on when he really takes charge, and you realize that someone like Haruhi definitely needs someone like Kyon. You got this varied cast of colorful characters, an interesting character and a set up that promises endless amusing situation. Its the sort of thing that makes you go, 'Kyon is once more dragged from his ordinary life by Haruhi's next crazy scheme of mysterious flamboyant espers, moe meido time travelers, and data bookworm aliens! What will the world be overloaded with next?! THE PLOT THICKENS! (or not but it's fun either way!)

0 comments:
Post a Comment