Black Rock Shooter (OVA)
The animation seems clean and smooth enough, with that 2D sort of art style and pretty good action sequences. It's little things, like the sound of Death Master's heels clicking on that marble floor, or BRS' slightly slowed turn of the head. Oh and I guess the awesomeness of a transforming sword/cannon. ;D Their side shots could've been better though. Mato, especially how she woke up, reminds me of Yui a lot...XD But she also miraculously woke up early. That never happens!Yuu is more Yui than Mato though. She's that kind of caring ditzy person wearing full tights. xD I don't like the random, unexplained shots of Black Rock Shooter in between everything. I mean, I know its supposed to mean something, but I really don't like it because it seems like its interrupting the story. Not that there was much of a story behind everything. But yeah, there was the random villains in those shots that I didn't really like either ): I guess they were just trying to recreate all the illustrations by Huke, even if they didn't intend to introduce them. And since BRS was such a big deal and everything, with the thousands of fanart and backstories and the Supercell song (which should've been playing in the OVA) that the film was mostly just for otakus, no really plot. Black Rock Shooter, in those scenes, seems to love posing in the wind looking far away...it's an artistic thing. But really, Huke's character designs rock. (Pun not intended) I'd like BRS' shorts, and maybe a slightly shorter version of her jacket. And her boots. And her normal self Converse...AND omg I love Death Master's outfit. Those capris...*heart* One thing I really liked actually was all the cute 'friendshippy' scenes between Mato and Yomi. They were cute and ordinary that I can't seem to describe in words other than 'cute'. They were just cute. Of course it was really clichéd but still you know...cute. Mato's loud and energic, Yomi's lady-like and soft-spoken..One thing that I can't willingly suspend my belief for is the fact that if every girl became a scythe welding warrior in an alternate world because her best friend became friends with another person, I'd fear for the world. If you minus some of that improbability though, I like this little slice of life in here. People grow apart, and sometimes you really can't find anything to say about it. I liked the little bittersweet montage in here before the plot springs into action! I'm not saying not having a plot really is bad, I mean, K-ON was mostly full of cute ordinary friendshippy moments without really that much of a plot and that was its appeal. But watching BRS and DM fight, I get this strange feeling that it would probably be solved by power of friendship transfered via hug...AND CALLED IT. Mato has the anime seating beside the window near the back, convinent for shots of them contemplating while looking at the sky. Yuu tells her to be positive, but its common sense to never stay positive because she'll just get madder if she sees you all happy without her. That's usually how it is right? I liked how she said Black Rock Shooter at the end, with that sort of Engrish accent to it. Pros were animation, character design, and cute friendshippy moments with some cute friendshippy sadness. Cons were random shots, unfinished sense at the end, generic plot, and lack of Miku/ryo. :(
"Black Rock Shooter, where did you go?"
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Film)
Hey look, it's a girl who woke up late! Sometimes makes me wonder if any one gets up on time in Japan. In other words, average. Except for 'today'. Also makes me wonder if anyone makes up their minds about career/college decisions in Japan. This was a really good movie. I did write notes as the movie went along, but its just an overall good film. I can't really say what's the pros for this movie, but I can't really say the cons either. All I can say was that I like this movie. The premise is nothing original. Girl gets time traveling powers. But the way they used it was sort of casually good. Animation isn't terribly notable, other than the fact that apparently the so-called 'time leap' is composed of CGI and Van Gogh-ian effects followed by the inside of a computer and some bubbles.
You have her cool supportive aunt who casually talks about time travel like its nothing and downplays the dangerous consequences of time travelling precisely to highlight them. There's signs of a rabu rabu triangle. Her little sister is so adorable (she can't be this cute!) especially when she tries to stop her sister from what looks like jumping out the window. And I, for one, DID NOT see the Chiaki twist coming. But it was awesome when it did. I like Kousuke, who was out of the loop, but always looking out for his friends.I can't really say what's the pros for this movie, but I can't really say the cons either.
And Makoto is just the perfect average girl. She worries about tests, playing baseball, and is scared of her friends changing. And I love her barreling in every time she leaps. It's so lulz. And it figures that the first thing she does is do over her bad day. I mean, that's what you would do right? You wouldn't really be too concerned with say, discovering the hidden mysteries of the past, or something like that. Its ordinary things, like karaoke, or tests, or food. The worries of a teenage girl.
I loved the ending where it was like the build up to a long leap of something, where thing happened after another, things clicked, and accidents happened and un-happened, and Makoto finally realized who she liked. We find out that Chiaki came to this time for a simple reason, much like many of the other time leaps taken in this movie. Although, moment of Fridge Horror, since Chiaki is in the far future, the chances of Makoto living long enough to actually meet him again is slim. But it's fridge horror, you can't not love her line. And I like how eventually, and fittingly, the last leap is used to go to the very beginning. She fixes everything in that sort of satisfying ending, and makes her resolution.
"I'll be waiting in the future."
"I'll be right there. I'll run there."
0 comments:
Post a Comment